Thursday, September 30, 2010

Battle Dress - Multicam and More

ACU + DCU + 2 MARPATs + ABU + NWU = WTF?




The US Military is all about "Joint" operations, yet each branch has it's own pattern!?! Not just patterns but, pockets, Velcro, buttons, boot and fabrics all a great development and distribution cost to the taxpayer and the serviceman/woman. Glaring examples of the service chiefs little fiefdoms are the NWU and ABU. Why? Ok, Ok I've heard the official pitch, ABU hides grease stains. Ok, then why pair it up with sage rough-out boots that can't be cleaned at all? Besides that, the thickness and lack of breathability of the material of the initial ABU was contributing to heat illness! The NWU, well, I mean come on, there is no excuse. I was working in Coronado, CA back in May. I walked in to Burger King and as usual at lunchtime the place was full of sailors. 80 to 90% were in the NWU. Right then I understood why it took so long for it to be authorized for wear off base. It's cartoonish and besides the look it does little to make the sailors more productive at work. As far as MARPAT, There are still 2 patterns, woodland and desert. Depending on where you are and where you are going Marines have to spend some money to have the right one. Next up the ACU. A well documented Velcro festooned failure. This was a money and power thing, and is well understood.
I'm getting old. My experience with uniforms goes way back to the AF's fondness for "pickle suits" with lots of patches. Then on to the BDU's which were designed for the epic cold war battle in Europe. In recent years I will give credit to the services for incorporating many things that an outdoorsman like myself have enjoyed for decades, like fleece. Still I'm better equipped when I set out in the wilds of the western US to shoot pictures than soldiers out in the wilds of centeral Asia shooting weapons. JSOC has been fielding Multicam for a while now. They need it. For the folks in combat zones this is not about looks, it's life and death. Now I'm not saying that a HVAC tech working at Dover AFB needs the tactical advantage of the Multicam uniform, but the benifits of fielding a universal battle/work uniform in terms of dollars, logistics and supply are easy to see. When I say dollars I not just refering to the taxpayer either. Many of the servicemen and women I talk to spend good amounts of their own money on clothing items each year.
The JCS need to cut the BS, live up to the "joint" in the title and create a good design in a good pattern made from the best compromise fabric with outerwear as necessary for climate. As for the pattern part, Crye Precision has done a good job with Multicam and that's a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment